Friday 9 November 2012

How do you deal with the comments... - Adoption.com Forums

When I was adopting, I found it hard to hear other people's opinions, but I tried to keep in mind where it was coming from. With family, I reminded myself that it was from a place of love. I did get annoyed, but tried to tell myself that I was lucky to have people who cared enough to be honest with me. The people close to us should be able to share their concerns, even if it's hard to hear. They should also know when they've been heard and it's time to stop talking...you might need to help remind them of that though!

I didn't tell acquaintances until it was a done deal. Most either didn't have an opinion or were smart enough to know that their opinion didn't matter. There was one co-worker who started to express negativity, and I said, "If I had cared about your opinion, I probably would have asked you while I was making the decision." I kind of said it in a joking manner, but he got the message. This is someone I'm not real fond of anyway, so I didn't mind sounding harsh.

Source: http://forums.adoption.com/becoming-foster-parents/409669-how-do-you-deal-comments.html

multiple sclerosis falling skies rodney king Webb Simpson Fathers Day Quotes Stevie J mothers day 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment