Tuesday 5 June 2012

Fitness Supplements

Hi, For the Love of Carrots readers! I?m Paige and I blog over at Running Around Normal.

Aside from blogging, I?m also a personal trainer and gym manager. Every day I meet with my clients with the purpose of taking them through our workout for the day, however, much more goes into a training session than just the workout itself. There are many facets of service in the client-trainer relationship, but today I want to discuss with you one of them that can get a somewhat negative connotation ? supplements.

I don?t even bring up the S-word unless a client asks about it. However, some do ask about it in order to maximize their efforts in the gym, and when they do, I only have a limited amount of information I can give them in order to stay within my scope of practice. Since I?m a sports nutritionist, I can advise on how they can best fuel for their workouts with food and sports drinks, but aside from this, I usually tell them about what works for me. And that last tidbit is what I?m going to share with you all today!

Before I go any further, I will say that I do take a variety of vitamins and supplements for overall health, but I also take a couple for fitness-related reasons only. They are protein powder

Ever since I became serious about fitness and, more specifically, strength training, I?ve been pretty adamant about refueling and maximizing the rebuild of muscles after workouts. If I?m not going to be eating a meal within 45 minutes of working out, I?ll make a protein shake which includes both protein and carbs. I?m not too specific about the protein to carb ratio, but I do make sure to get an adequate amount of both.

Many people believe that after a lifting workout, we just need protein ? and lots of it. Not true. Yes, our muscles need protein, but they also need to replenish the glucose (sugar, through carbs) in them as well. This is why you?ve probably heard that chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink. It?s got a good amount of protein and carbs. Since I?d rather get my carbs from a whole food source, I usually make a post-workout smoothie:

Paige?s Post-Workout Smoothie:

-1 c. So Delicious coconut Milk

-1 scoop vanilla whey Jay Robb protein powder

-1 frozen banana

Blend in a blender, and drink. To make this post-workout shake a meal, feel free to add peanut butter, spinach, an additional fruit, chia seeds, etc. I do this a lot for breakfast!

The second supplement I take for fitness is:

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA?s)

I wrote a fairly comprehensive post on BCAA?s on my blog a while back, but here?s the main reason on why I take BCAA?s: to aid in muscle recovery.

The amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valin are metabolized in the muscle and are used for protein synthesis. Thusly, they aid in muscle recovery (from the damage we do when we lift weights) and regeneration.

That?s the main reason I take BCAA?s. However, there?s also a few supporting reasons:

-Reduces muscle soreness. Since is aids in muscle recovery, it also eases DOMS and muscle soreness

-Easy to grab for fasted cardio. On mornings when I?m just going to do a 3-4 mile run, I?ll take a scoop or two of BCAA?s instead of eating breakfast first. Then, immediately after my run, I?ll eat my breakfast.

-If, for some reason, I?m not able to get my post-workout shake or meal right away, BCAA?s do a good job in holding me over until I can (although not recommended.)

-Gives me some ?umph? in my workouts. I?m not sure if it?s the flavor or the actual aminos, but it gives me a boost in my workouts.

I?m currently taking a couple different brands of BCAA?s.

Modern BCAA?s, which I buy on iherb.com.

I take this kind about 4 times a week. If I?m going to be working out in the morning, I?ll sip on it before, during, and after my workout. It comes in a yummy blueberry flavor.

Medi-Aminos

This kind I got from my homeopathic doctor. It?s actually just kidney bean extract, but the amino acid profile is beautiful. It doesn?t taste as good as the Modern BCAA brand, though. It?s got more of a nutritional yeast flavor to it, so I?ll typically stir it into my meals ? like scrambled eggs, chili, tuna salad, egg salad, etc.

Another brand of BCAA?s that I personally have not tried, but have recently heard great things about is Fit Mixer BCAA?s.

As you can see, I don?t take a number of supplements. I try to get other helpers in whole foods form ? boosters in the form of caffeine from my coffee and tea, along with CLA?s in the form of Kerrygold butter (used sparingly!) As long as we have a diet based on whole foods with a focus on abundant vegetables and fruits, I?m a believer that supplements can be far and few between :)

robert deniro mexico news the talented mr ripley weather new orleans orcl the hartford illinois primary 2012

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Can you recommend some fitness supplements brands for me? Looking for a premium quality products. Thx

    ReplyDelete